I’ve come to talk to (/through) you again….
A lot has been going on in my life over the past little while and I just haven’t found the time to blog, or tweet or read (or do other stuff) as much as I would have liked. In summary:
- There’s been more uncertainty than usual about the future in the sector in which I work.
- I’ve been learning a lot about a new job. I think I’m now beginning to find my feet but I still feel like Donald Rumsfeld. Not knowing what I don’t know, or something like that. [As an aside the new job is located in a lovely swanky office, the only downside of which is that it has been a bit of a Faraday Cage, which again hasn’t helped.]
- I’ve (hopefully) been helping the new people in my team at work learn a lot as they start their new jobs.
- My kids aging process seems to have speeded up exponentially. I love this as I’m spending more time with them, as for example, they don’t keel over in the middle of the day for an afternoon nap anymore. Additionally we’re doing more active things that I like, the latest favourite activities are bike rides and playing hockey. However it does mean that I don’t have as many of those little spaces in the day which in the past I would have filled with a bit of electronic reading or writing.
- Finally, I made the switch to Android as my old iPhone finally packed in. The home button had more or less stopped working and I decided that fixing it would probably be a bodge too far. I have tried to blog occasionally and have several unfinished posts, one of which is a post in which I try to justify logically why I moved from iOS to Android but I think the truth is that I just wanted to give Android a try. So far I doubt I’ve really used more than 20-30% of the features that the phone and the associated software provide.
All of this has meant that I’ve had to think carefully about what I spend my time doing and blogging has lost out. Incidentally I’ve also found myself playing more Android games than I ever did on the Phone and have lost a few posts in the Android mobile version of WordPress (through my own user error).
However it hasn’t helped that a lot of what I would have wanted to write about doesn’t necessarily feel like a safe topic and so I’d have to be very careful*.
* However, it is good to see people who
hold held similar positions to mine at other institutions starting to blog. I’m sure that now the dust is starting to settle on the White Paper I might be a little more active again.
<postscript written on November 20th 2011>
What a waffly justification. Simple truth is, I’m out of practice. So much so that I didn’t even manage to press publish on this post back in September or whenever it was originally written.